Welcome to Irish Massage Therapist Association
The IMTA was founded in 1990 and is one of the most respected associations in the field of complementary healthcare in Ireland today. We promote and encourage high standards in training, education and the practice of the many diverse forms of massage therapy.
We are recognised by the Department of Health as the national association for massage/bodywork therapists. We pride ourselves on protecting our members’ interests with a supportive, professional approach, while at the same time, providing the general public with access to highly qualified, professional therapists.
We are an Irish-based Association. The Aims and Objective of the Association are to:
- Promote a spirit of co-operation in the massage profession.
- Encourage and support holistic and therapeutic massage therapists in Ireland.
- Facilitate the exchange of information between members through meetings and newsletters.
- Promote the uses and benefits of massage therapy.
- Encourage and promote high standards in training and practice in massage therapy.
- Represent the interests of its members to State Agencies and Departments and other relevant agencies whether statutory or non-statutory.
- Co-operate with other complementary therapy associations at national and world (global) levels so as to promote, enhance and inform the public of the benefits of complementary therapies.
In the absence of much-needed official Government regulation and legislation in the area of complementary therapies, the IMTA is a self-regulating body. We are also a member of FICTA, the umbrella group for complementary therapy associations in Ireland.
In addition to the many networking and support advantages of membership, we have an extremely competitive Group Insurance Scheme, a nation-wide Discount Scheme and a country-wide network of regional network meetings. Whether you are a student or a qualified massage or bodywork therapist in Ireland today, it makes financial sense to join the IMTA and have access to the many other benefits of membership.
For more information, please contact our Administrator on 086 377 3801 by phone or text or send an email via the Contact Us link above.
Alternatively, if you wish to locate an IMTA registered therapist in your area, click here "Find an IMTA Practitioner".